U.S. Rep. Terri Sewell to Speak at ASU’s W.E.B. Du Bois Honors Program’s First-Ever Honors Week
By Hazel Scott/ASU
U.S. Rep. Terri Sewell is the keynote speaker for Alabama State University’s W.E.B. Du Bois Honors Program’s first-ever universitywide Honors Week, which is set for April 11-13. For start times and vicinity, please see the below schedule.
Honors Week, which will include in-person and virtual segments, brings together the ASU community to celebrate the academic excellence of ASU undergraduates. The Honors Program is one of many in ASU’s University College.
The three-day celebration, focused on Global Leadership Initiative, will include a President’s Luncheon, a fashion show, an Honors Students Roundtable Discussion, an awards ceremony in Oak Park, presentations by President Quinton T. Ross, Jr. and Provost Carl Pettis, and more.
The full schedule is below:
Monday, April 11 (J. Garrick Hardy Student Center Theater)
9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- UC-Connect: “COVID-19 and Its Ramification” – Honors Students Roundtable Discussion. Participating in the Roundtable are ASU, Spelman College and Auburn University Montgomery.
- W.E.B. Honors Global Pageant Contest
- Release of the Honors Newsletter “IMPACT”
April 12 (Banquet Room and the Dunn-Oliver Acadome)
11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Welcome: Dr. Ram Alagan, interim director, W.E.B. Du Bois Honors Program
- Occasion: Juane Franklin
- Invocation: Apostle Artis Clayton
- W.E.B. Du Bois Legacy: Dr. Jaqueline Trimble
- Global Leadership Initiative: W.E.B. Du Bois Honors Program
- President’s Luncheon
- Introduction of Keynote Speaker: Taylor Sewell
- Keynote Speaker Presentation (video); U.S. Rep. Terri Sewell
- Introduction of ASU Provost: W.E.B. Du Bois Program SGA President
- Provost Message: Dr. Carl Pettis
- Importance of the Program to Your Life
- Senior Acknowledgement: Staff
Wednesday, April 13 (Oak Park)
9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Honors Celebration Day with Distribution of Awards for: