I. GENERAL INFORMATION
As a student at ASU, you become part of a select group invited to make this university home for a lifetime—wherever you go and whatever you become, your touchstone can be ASU. You will have opportunities to transform these special years of university experience into steppingstones to the future. You are invited to dream, to see the future’s open door, and to begin the journey. You can take pride in your ASU and you can add to its legacy. Define your vision and start your journey today.
The ASU Legacy—Perseverance, Progress and Promise
ASU’s 151-year history is a legacy of perseverance, progress and promise. The ASU movement began with the impetus to establish a school for black Alabamians.
The Civil War resulted not only in the end of slavery but also in the opportunity for blacks to have the right to education. With the Northern victory, black Southerners with the assistance of Northern white missionaries and the leaders of African-American churches set out to establish educational institutions for the freedmen. ASU was born in that movement.
Blacks in the Black Belt of Alabama, the heart of the Confederacy, founded Lincoln Normal School at Marion in 1867. As a descendant of that school, ASU is one of the oldest institutions of higher education founded for black Americans. The men who comprised the Board of Trustees were Joey Pinch, Thomas Speed, Nickolas Dale, James Childs, Thomas Lee, John Freeman, Nathan Levert, David Harris, and Alexander H. Curtis. Under the leadership of this group, the blacks of Marion raised $500 and purchased a suitable building site on which a school building was constructed.
Until the new school was built, the American Missionary Association leased a building and operated and financed the school. In 1869, the AMA, with the support of $2,800 from the Freedmen’s Bureau of the federal government and support from the “colored people of Alabama,” raised $4,200 to construct a new building. In 1870, while the AMA provided the teachers, the Legislature appropriated $486 for the school’s use. The state’s support rose to $1,250 the next year.
In 1871, Peyton Finley petitioned the Legislature to establish a “university for colored people,” but his request was denied. He persisted and in 1873 the Alabama Legislature established a “State Normal School and University for the Education of Colored Teachers and Students.” That act included the provision that Lincoln School’s assets would become part of the new school. The trustees agreed, and in 1874 the first president George N. Card led the effort in re- organizing Lincoln Normal School in Marion as America’s first state-supported liberal arts educational institution for blacks.
Black leaders continued to press for a more prominently supported school for black youths. In 1887 the State of Alabama authorized the establishment of the Alabama Colored People’s University. The land and building allocations were put with pledges of $5,000 from black citizens who wanted the university in Montgomery. Thus, the university offered its first class in Montgomery in 1887.
Although university president William Paterson and others had overcome initial opposition to locating the school in Montgomery, opponents of state support of education for blacks remained hostile to the new university. Such opponents filed suit in state court and won a ruling in 1887 from the Alabama Supreme Court that declared unconstitutional certain sections of the legislation that established the university for African-Americans. Thus, the school operated for two years solely on tuition fees, voluntary service and donations until, by act of the Legislature in 1889, the state resumed its support. The new law changed the name of the school from university to Normal School for Colored Students, thus skirting the Supreme Court’s finding and re-established the $7,500 state appropriation.
Despite having to face tremendous obstacles, the ASU family continued to make significant contributions to the history of the state and nation, especially with the involvement of students and employees in the Civil Rights Movement. The Montgomery Bus Boycott, the first direct action campaign of the modern Civil Rights Movement, awakened a new consciousness within the university and the community responded to the call for participants. Even though officials, in a state committed to segregation, retaliated against the school with a decrease in funding, ASU continued to persevere and flourish so that today it is a model of diversity and equal opportunity for all. At the same time, ASU is a beacon in the legacy of black leadership and the preservation and celebration of African-American culture.
151 Years of Leadership
ASU is a direct descendant of Lincoln Normal School at Marion, established in Perry County, Ala., in 1867.Although many people worked to establish Lincoln Normal School, Peyton Finley—the first elected black member of the State Board of Education—contributed most in the early years to make the institution permanent. Through his efforts and with the assistance of the institution’s first president George N. Card, the school became a state-supported educational institution in 1874.
In 1887 the Legislature authorized the establishment of a university, allocated $10,000 for a land purchase and building construction, and set aside $7,500 annually for operating expenses. Montgomery citizens pledged $5,000 in cash and land and donated the use of some temporary buildings. Under the leadership of President William Paterson, the university opened in Montgomery at Beulah Baptist Church with a faculty of nine members. Eight months after the enabling legislation, the university taught its first class on October 3, 1887.
1889 was a pivotal year in the university’s development when $3,000 pledged to the state was given to authorities along with land for development of a permanent campus at the university’s current location between Decatur and Hall streets. The university erected Tullibody Hall the next year as its first permanent building. That building burned in 1904 and was rebuilt in 1906 as the university’s first brick structure, which also was named Tullibody Hall.
Paterson, who had guided the university through the early years, and who is generally considered the founder because of his 37 years of service, died in 1915. During the following decade, presidents John William Beverly and George Washington Trenholm organized the institution as a four-year teacher training high school and added a junior college department. In the early 1920s the university began operating on the four-quarter system and added the departments of home economics and commerce. This decade of growth and change also saw the purchase of additional land, including an 80-acre farm which constitutes the bulk of the university’s current holdings. The state also appropriated $50,000 for the construction of dormitories and dining facilities.
In 1925 G. W. Trenholm died and was succeeded by his 25-year-old son, Harper Council Trenholm, who served as president for 37 years. He oversaw the change from a junior college to a full four-year institution, a process completed in 1928 which enabled the college to confer its first baccalaureate degree in teacher education in 1931. In 1940 Trenholm initiated a graduate degree program, and State Teachers College awarded its first master’s degree in 1943. The school also established branch campuses in Mobile and Birmingham.
Trenholm was eager for the institution to develop and gain recognition. Thus, he worked to improve the physical facilities in concert with advances in the quality of academic programs. During the economic expansion that followed the end of the Great Depression, the university constructed eight permanent brick buildings, a swimming pool, and a stadium. To reflect changes in its programs, the Legislature authorized the institution to change its name to State Teachers College in 1929, Alabama State College for Negroes in 1948, and Alabama State College in 1954. In 1935 the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accredited the college’s programs.
In 1962, after Trenholm’s illness, an interim president, Levi Watkins, became president. In 1969, the State Board of Education, then the governing board of the college, approved a name change and the institution became Alabama State University. During these years, the university began a path of steady growth and development in its current role as a comprehensive university. In 1975, the Legislature established an independent board of trustees for the university. In 1981, Robert Lee Randolph was appointed president, a position he held until 1983. During his tenure, Title III received its largest federal government funding. WVAS-FM was planned, construction began on the Tullibody Fine Arts Center, and the University Apartments were constructed.
After serving 10 months as interim president, Leon Howard was appointed president in 1984, holding the position he until 1991. During his presidency, ASU saw dramatic increases in student enrollment, an aggressive student retention program was started, and the social work program received national accreditation. The largest capital campaign, the Endowment for Excellence, raised $1.5 million. Two new dormitories were completed.
C.C. Baker, a 1954 alumnus, served as president from 1991 to 1994. During his tenure, the enrollment reached an all-time high of 5,600 students; programs were reaccredited; athletic programs flourished; the Olean Black Underwood Tennis Center and C. Johnson Dunn Tower were opened in January 1994; and the Acadome was dedicated in 1992.
When William H. Harris became president in 1984, his commitment was to transform ASU into a comprehensive regional university through excellence and diversity. Significant investments were made in technology, the student body became more diverse, and community outreach was emphasized through partnerships with K- 12, civic and community organizations. The National Center for the Study of Civil Rights and African-American Culture, Business and Technology Center, and Center for Leadership and Public Policy were established. Degree programs in health information management and occupational therapy and graduate programs in accountancy and physical therapy were created. Improvements in the living and learning environment were made, including renovation to Paterson Hall and the $4.2 million restoration of historic George Lockhart Hall. Dr. Joe A. Lee became president in 2001 and served until 2008. His vision focused on a students’-first philosophy, which emphasized development of a comprehensive student retention program, renovation/construction of a student union building, and completion of the John L. Buskey Health Sciences Center. Accreditation for the university and for academic programs was reaffirmed; and educational leadership, policy and law became the first doctoral degree program offered at ASU. A transitional doctorate in physical therapy was introduced, the university experienced a record enrollment, and the women’s basketball team earned national recognition.
In 2008 Dr. William H. Harris returned to ASU as president. His Vision 2020 strategic plan focused on transforming Alabama State University through excellence in teaching, research, service and a diverse population.
Dr. Joseph H. Silver Sr. was appointed president September 11, 2012. During his brief term, the University continued its path toward transformation.
Dr. Gwendolyn E. Boyd was selected by the Board of Trustees on Dec. 20, 2013, to serve as the University’s first female President. A 1977 ASU graduate, Boyd returns to her alma mater, after a stellar 33-year career at Johns Hopkins University, with a vision of promoting the University as the “Land of Opportunity.”
In Fall 2108 Alabama State welcomed its 15th president, alumnus Dr. Quinton T. Ross, Jr. Dr. Ross’ is a dedicated career educator and is a former state legislator known for his support of educational initiatives.
THE ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY MISSION
Alabama State University is a comprehensive diverse student-centered public HBCU committed to global excellence in teaching, research and service.
The University fulfills its mission by:
ASU offers baccalaureate through doctorate degrees in an expansive array of academic programs. We maintain a scholarly and creative faculty, state-of-the-art facilities, and an atmosphere in which members of the university community live, work and learn in pleasant surroundings. ASU offers a bridge to success for those who commit to pursing quintessential educational opportunities and lifelong endeavors
ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY VISION
Alabama State University (ASU) will achieve global recognition through excellence in teaching, research and service. ASU will advance its status as a premiere, comprehensive, Level VI regionally accredited institution, to a Doctoral/Research University (DRU) Carnegie Classification–designated institution. We shall become the destination university for students seeking a holistic educational experience. We will build upon quality scholarship and academic rigor to graduate a diverse corps of lifelong learners who are fully equipped to lead and succeed as citizens of the global workforce.
THE ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY ROLE
As a comprehensive regional institution, Alabama State University provides high-quality undergraduate and graduate instruction, which leads to degrees in liberal arts, the fine arts, business, the sciences, teacher education, selected health-related professions and other professions.
The University’s general objective is the preparation of students for an effective and productive role in American society as professionals and as citizens. The university provides learning experiences designed to develop students’ intellectual abilities, as well as their social, moral, cultural and ethical values. In so doing, the university is equipping its students with those skills, insights, attitudes and practical experiences that will enable them to become well-rounded, responsible and discerning citizens, fully qualified for service to humanity in a dynamic global society. The order of priority of the university’s functions is (1) instruction, (2) research and (3) public service. In executing its role, the University will:
- Achieve successively higher levels of demonstrated excellence in all its educational programs.
- Practice state-of-the-art pedagogical and general educational principles that will distinguish the university on a national level.
- Recognize the diversity of its student body and provide an educational and intellectual environment in which all students may thrive, learn, and develop their highest potential for professional careers and leadership.
- Honor its origins by including offerings in its curricula that provide a rich understanding of the African-American experience.
- Place emphasis on the undergraduate preparation of students, and on selected master’s and doctoral program offerings designed for entry into the professional world of work, for future formal study, and for basic and applied research that is useful at the community, national, and international levels.
- Maintain and strengthen its outreach program by making public policy research findings and recommendations, and relevant continuing education more accessible to the community.
- Support wide-ranging research and scholarly activities that serve to create and apply new knowledge and theories of human endeavors.
- Contribute to the cultural life of the community through programs in the visual and performing arts and through public lectures and forums
The academic offerings of Alabama State University consist of four-year baccalaureate programs, master’s degree programs, and programs leading to the education specialist degree and doctoral degrees.
The freshman student’s enrollment at Alabama State University begins with individualized placement into subject and skills courses in the general studies curriculum based upon the high school record and college entrance examination scores. Various degree majors may require specific and/or additional courses within the general studies curriculum. Freshman students who have selected a major field of study in a specific degree program should thoroughly review the curriculum with their academic advisers immediately in order to develop a plan of study that ensures the most productive academic progression.
The transfer student’s enrollment begins with a minimum one (1) semester of enrollment in University College. During this period, the student receives academic advisement, is encouraged to interact with the departments through which their intended major is facilitated and completes orientation to the University. Upon completion of the requirements to exit University College, the student’s academic records are transferred to the college or school that facilitates the selected major field of study.
The graduate student who enrolls in the university may simply take further work in courses of general interest or special professional needs, or he or she may work toward a master’s degree. The student may pursue additional graduate study leading to the Alabama Class AA Teacher Certification or engage in scholarly study and research in preparation for the specialist degree in education.
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE is the academic unit for freshman students entering Alabama State University. This academic unit provides a firm foundation for lifelong learning during students’ earliest time at the university. This is achieved through course offerings and through the Department of Advancement Studies’ student support courses and the Orientation Program. Resources and services also include the University College Tutorial Support Learning Centers and the Supplemental Instruction Program. Other exemplary student programs include the W.E.B. Dubois Honors Program and TRIO Programs. Additionally, University College is an academic unit which partners with campus academic and student support units to help students have an excellent start. University College was approved through the Alabama Commission on Higher Education to offer the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies Degree. This individualized and customized degree is for students who do not find a major at the university that meets their career goals. Students, with the assistance of professionals in degree-granting colleges, are able to design a degree program of study compatible to their academic, career and personal needs. Areas of interest related to two or three minors or concentrations offered with workable relationships for employment are combined for this degree to ensure optimal success in the workplace.
COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES aims to improve analytical, communicative, and other skills that serve as the basis for development of the student’s intellectual potential, and to provide a broad liberal education for responsible citizenship, professional career entry and preparation for advanced professional study. The Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work (CWSE) degrees are conferred. Graduate courses are offered for the Master of Arts degree, which is conferred through the UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
COLLEGE OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING AND MATHEMATICS was established in 2009. It is composed of the department of biological sciences, physical sciences, mathematics and computer science and dual-engineering. Students in the college have the opportunity to acquire in-depth knowledge in a specific major discipline and to learn the skills necessary to acquire new knowledge in the chosen major. The college is committed to preparing students for entry into graduate research, professional schools, and the scientific and technical workforce. The college offers programs leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science. It administers programs for the Graduate School leading to the Master of Science in mathematics, biology and forensic science and Ph.D. in microbiology.
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION offers preparation for prospective teachers, counselors and administrators for primary, elementary and secondary schools. All courses are approved and comply with Alabama certification requirements for teachers. The college offers the following degrees: Bachelor of Science in Education, Master of Education, and the Education Specialist. The College of Education's programs are accredited by several agencies, including the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) Jointly with the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE), the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
PERCY J. VAUGHN, JR. COLLEGE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION offers professional programs in business to students who wish to prepare for careers in commerce, industry, and government. The college offers the Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting, Finance, Computer Information Systems, Management, Marketing, and the Master of Accountancy degree. The Percy J. Vaughn, Jr. College of Business Administration is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
COLLEGE OF VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), and the National Association of Schools of Theater (NAST). The college offers programs for students who desire professional training in visual arts, theatre, dance, music education or broad-based liberal arts training with an emphasis in music. Opportunities also exist for students to enrich their lives through participation in a variety of performing organizations. Programs are offered leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree in music, the Bachelor of Music Education degree, and Master of Music Education degrees.
COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES offers professional preparation for students who wish to prepare for careers in the healthcare industry. Programs are offered leading to the Undergraduate Certificate in Maternal and Child Health; Bachelor of Science degrees in Health Information Management and Rehabilitation Services with a Concentration in Addiction Studies; Master of Science degrees in Occupational Therapy and Prosthetics and Orthotics; the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling; Graduate Certificates in Disability Studies, Policies, and Services and Rehabilitation Counseling, and the clinical Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. The College's programs are accredited by several programs, including the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE), the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM), the Commission on Accreditation in Allied Health Education (CAAHEP) through the National Commission on Orthotics and Prosthetics Education (NCOPE), and the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
GRADUATE SCHOOL PROGRAMS
THE HAROLD LLOYD MURPHY GRADUATE SCHOOL coordinates degree programs beyond the baccalaureate level. Graduate studies are offered through cooperation with the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, the College of Science, Mathematics and Technology, the College of Business Administration, the College of Health Sciences, the College of Visual and Performing Arts, and the College of Education. The school offers the Master of Arts, the Master of Science and the Doctor of Philosophy in Microbiology degrees through the College of Science, Mathematics and Technology. The school offers the Master of Education, Master of Science, Education Specialist degrees and the Doctor of Education degree in Educational Leadership, Policy and Law through the College of Education. The school offers the Master of Accountancy degree through the College of Business Administration and Master of Science in Occupational Therapy, Prosthetics and Orthotics and the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling, and the clinical Doctor of Physical Therapy degrees through the College of Health Sciences. All graduate programs are coordinated by the Graduate School.
EVENING AND WEEKEND STUDIES
The Evening and Weekend Program provides an opportunity to take courses leading to baccalaureate and graduate degrees during the evening hours and on Saturdays. This unit of the university serves as a continuation of regular daytime academic offerings. It further strives to provide more options in bringing minority and adult learners into the university. The Evening and Weekend Program is constantly seeking approaches that will make educational opportunities more accessible to individuals who find the evening and weekend schedule more convenient for their educational needs.
The Alabama State University campus is located just a short walk from Alabama’s Capitol, the state government complex, and downtown Montgomery. This location makes the downtown business district, the Montgomery Civic Center, museums, art galleries, theater, medical centers, the state archives and historical sites readily accessible to students. Across the street from the campus is the beautiful municipal Oak Park, which has the world’s first full-color, single-lens digital planetarium. Alabama State University is easily accessible from almost any point near Montgomery.
The campus buildings are set in a landscape design that rivals the most beautiful urban campuses in the South. All student residence halls and other buildings are air-conditioned. The replacement cost of land, buildings and equipment is estimated at $310,374,915. The following is a listing and brief description of the functions of the major existing campus facilities.
TULLIBODY FINE ARTS CENTER (1984) is a 52,000-square-foot, two- story brick structure that forms the second phase of the Fine Arts Center. It is a comprehensive facility that houses fine arts classrooms, offices, galleries, studios and laboratories. The Leila M. Barlow Theatre boasts a 300-seat auditorium for drama projects. A scaled replica of Tullibody Hall is located in the atrium of the facility as a monument to the university’s early history.
TULLIBODY HALL (1974) is a two-story, brick structure with a four-story tower that forms Phase I of the Fine Arts Center. With its approximate space of 41,000 square feet, it houses the School of Music, with facilities for band, choir, classrooms, faculty offices, practice rooms, listening library, and a recital hall with seating for approximately 200 persons.
KILBY HALL (1920) was remodeled in 1985. This one-story, brick structure has more than 8,000 square feet of space. It serves as the headquarters for Cooperative Education and the campus radio station, WVAS.
ZELIA STEPHENS EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER (1971) is a split- level, multi-purpose learning center for children from preschool through grade three. The 14,000 square-foot center is designed to provide opportunity for observation and laboratory experiences for early childhood and elementary education majors. The facility incorporates a full range of physical learning resources in classroom areas which have second-level observation decks for class viewing or teacher observation. The classrooms center on a common, multipurpose room with terraced seating perimeters. The facility also includes a nursery, kindergarten, art room and open classrooms for first, second and third grades.
UNIVERSITY HOUSE (1970) is a two-story, brick-veneer structure that contains the university president’s residence and facilities to accommodate guests and numerous social functions of the university. This house has a living space of more than 5,000 square feet.
WILLETTA MCGINTY APARTMENTS (1983) are self-contained residence buildings with complete facilities. Four free-standing buildings are interconnected by breezeways and sheltered walks. Each building, with 3,872 square feet of living area, contains four separate apartments, which house two residents each. The residences were designed to prepare honor students for life beyond the campus.
THE LEVI WATKINS LEARNING CENTER (1978; renovated in 2011) provides library facilities, resources and services to its faculty, students, staff and academic community through a centrally located, newly renovated and enlarged Levi Watkins Learning Center (LWLC), a “Cultural Learning Place.” The LWLC encompasses more than one hundred fifty thousand square feet of space housing multimedia learning resources to support teaching, research, scholarship and cultural activities at Alabama State University and its global communities. The five-story structure faces the academic mall of the campus and includes the main Library and Learning Resources departments, the Curriculum Materials Center which serves the teacher education program, the Archives and Special Collections, the National Center for the Study of Civil Rights and African-American Culture, and the Media Center. A connecting wing of the Levi Watkins Learning Center includes the departments of Accounting and Finance, Business Administration and Computer Information Systems, faculty offices, classrooms, support laboratories, and the offices of the Small Business Development Center.
COUNCILL TRENHOLM HALL (1967) is a four-story, brick building consisting of approximately 60,000 square feet of academic space, with laboratory, classroom, and research facilities for biology, chemistry, computer science, physics and general science. Space is also provided for faculty offices and related staff facilities.
WILLIAM HOOPER COUNCILL HALL (1956) is an approximately 63,000 square foot, three-story brick structure that houses classrooms, the offices of central administration (the president, academic affairs, fiscal affairs, administrative services, planning and institutional advancement, and personnel services), and the Graduate School.
WILLIAM BURNS PATERSON HALL (1928) was renovated in 1997. This three-story brick building is one of the oldest structures on the campus. The more than 57,000 square foot building houses classrooms, faculty offices, academic support laboratories, the offices of the dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Air Force ROTC and the Department of Advancement Studies.
EDWARD G. MCGEHEE HALL (1968) is a three-story structure of reinforced concrete and brick. The 41,700-square-foot building houses classrooms, faculty offices, the offices of the Department of Languages and Literatures, the Testing Center, and administrative offices for Student Affairs and services.
GEORGE N. CARD HALL (1962) was named after George N. Card, president of ASU from 1873 to 1878. It is a four-story brick building measuring more than 35,000 square feet, which houses 192 students.
FRED SHUTTLESWORTH DINING HALL (2007), is an exciting new place to eat and socialize, and is conveniently located among the academic and residential facilities on campus. The dining hall is a renovation from a previous basketball arena with an expansion that encompasses 39,000 gross square feet with a capacity of 1,200 diners. Through a food court arrangement, the dining hall serves a full range of meals; from salads and sandwiches to full dinners. Private dining rooms are available for faculty and executive use.
ASU ACADOME (1992) is an ultramodern, multipurpose facility that serves a variety of functions. The 220,500 square foot structure is the major center for physical education instruction, entertainment activities, conferences, meetings, conventions and cultural events. Housed in the facility are an arena, classrooms, and offices for Acadome staff, banquet/reception/conference areas, and offices for faculty and athletics personnel. It is also headquarters for the ASU basketball Hornets and Lady Hornets.
CHARLES JOHNSON DUNN TOWER (1994) is an 11-story, brick and stucco building that provides apartment-type housing for 480 students. The 114,419 square foot building has a large laundry room in the basement and telephone and cable connections in each room.
MARTIN L. KING, JR. HALL (1990) is five-story dormitory that houses 212 students. The 64,500-square-foot building has study rooms and food preparation areas on each floor and a large recreation and social area in the basement.
BESSIE W. BENSON HALL (1972) is a five-story dormitory designed for 204 residents. It has more than 44,000 square feet of living space.
BIBB GRAVES HALL (1928) was renovated
in 2008. This 37,640 square foot structure is one of ASU’s most recognized buildings. This three-story campus landmark is reserved for junior and senior female students. Each two-bedroom suite is furnished with beds, desks, wardrobes, a couch, television stand and a private bathroom with its own shower. It offers its residents a computer lab, study rooms, laundry facilities on all three floors, a visitors’ lounge and a meeting room, with all new furniture and finishes. Wireless and hard wired Internet access is available. It is one of the oldest buildings and one of the most sought-after addresses on campus.
BESSIE E. ESTELL HALL (1990) is a five-story dormitory that houses 212 students. This 64,000-square-foot building has study rooms and food preparation areas on each floor and a large recreation and social area in the basement.
WILLEASE R. SIMPSON HALL (1966) is a four-and-one-half story brick building providing housing for full-time students, with 101 rooms, lounge, administrative storage and utility areas in a total area of approximately 42,000 square feet. A separate ground-floor entrance provides access to the health center and the infirmary.
PEYTON FINLEY APARTMENTS (1983) are a cluster of four two-story, modern brick buildings that house 64 students. Each building provides a living area of approximately 3,870 square feet.
CYNTHIA D. ALEXANDER APARTMENTS (1966) consisting of two, two- story brick-veneer buildings, provide 12 apartments for residential life staff and faculty members.
HORNET STADIUM (1942) has a football practice field and a track.
GEORGE H. LOCKHART GYMNASIUM (1939) with extensive renovations completed in January 2002. It is now a 47,553-square-foot brick complex where physical education activities and intramural sports are held. It also houses offices for faculty and staff who manage the activities. The gymnasium includes a 25-meter pool suitable for swimming meets. It contains an elevator and mechanical rooms for its auxiliary systems. Bleachers and a new physical fitness area have also been constructed.
JOHN W. BEVERLY HALL (1939), a renovated three-story, brick building, houses lecture rooms, classrooms, faculty offices. Also located in this 24,480-square-foot building are the departments of social work, and sociology and criminal justice.
JOHN W. ABERCROMBIE HALL (1947) was renovated in 2008. The 40,000 square-foot, 130-bedroom facility features suite-style living accommodations on all three floors. Each suite has two bedrooms, which include beds, study desks, rocking chairs, wardrobes a couch and a television stand. In addition, Abercrombie Hall features laundry facilities and study rooms on each floor, as well as a computer lab and visitors lounge.
GEORGE W. TRENHOLM HALL (1947) housed the main University Library, with special laboratories for classes in library education until the spring of 1978. The 33,800-square-foot structure now houses the offices of the dean of University College, the Department of Humanities, the Department of History and Political Science, and the Thelma M. Glass Auditorium.
OLEAN BLACK UNDERWOOD TENNIS CENTER (1994) is a 12-court, lighted complex with tournament capabilities. This facility has a clubhouse which provides office spaces, men’s and women’s dressing rooms with lockers and showers, and a classroom for on-site teaching.
COMMUNICATIONS ANNEX is a 26,000-square-foot complex divided into several suites that are used to facilitate academic activities in the department of communications. These facilities are fenced and have adequate parking for employees and visitors.
THE ACADEMIC MALL (1965) is a T-shaped lawn in the heart of the campus that runs along the perimeter of major academic buildings and the University Center. At the center of the mall stands the Equinox, erected in 1974 as a university centennial project. One of the few pieces of massive outdoor sculpture in Montgomery, it is a tribute to the contributions of African-Americans in our nation’s development.
JOHN L. BUSKEY HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER (2001) is an 80,000- square- foot, three-story complex houses the Health Sciences programs consisting of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Health Information Management, Rehabilitation Services, Rehabilitation Counseling, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Maternal and Child Health and the Center to Advance Rehabilitative Health and Education (CARE). The building houses three addition, there is a Gait Analysis Laboratory, a Cardio-Pulmonary Laboratory and a Bod Pod Laboratory that support faculty research. Finally, the complex has a state-of-the-art, 209-seat auditorium and lounges for faculty and students. The Prosthetics and Orthotics program is housed in an extended site building on Forest Avenue.
PHYSICAL PLANT (refurbished in 2000) houses the employees and supervisory personnel of the Physical Plant. It is a one-level structure consisting of 18,324 square feet, with office space, meeting rooms, storage, equipment areas, and shops for skills and/or trades, e.g., air conditioning, plumbing, locksmith, electrical, carpentry, etc. It is fenced and has a parking garage for two buses, a gas pump, and adequate parking for work vehicles, employees and visitors.
OLD BEL AIRE ESTATES: The University has acquired property, west of the center of campus that runs north and south along the west side of Hall Street. The area comprises approximately 55-60 acres.
ROBERT CLINTON HATCH HALL (2007) is shared by the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences and Alabama State University. The building consists of 50,000 square feet. The facility incorporates state-of-the-art forensic science laboratories, a mock courtroom, instrumentation laboratory and a criminal logistics laboratory for instruction in techniques for examining evidentiary material.
LIFE SCIENCE BUILDING (2009) is an 85,000 square foot, five-floor facility that includes a 2,000-square-foot teaching seminar room, well-equipped research laboratories, walk-in cold rooms and dark rooms. The building houses the university’s biological science programs, including the doctoral program in microbiology for the department of biological sciences. It features state-of-the-art molecular biology teaching laboratories and multimedia classrooms furnished with the latest instructional software.
RALPH DAVID ABERNATHY HALL (2009) is named for ASU alumnus and civil rights icon Ralph David Abernathy, the 134,000-square-foot Ralph David Abernathy Hall is home to the College of Education. The building is the university’s second largest facility and features simulated classrooms, research and development laboratories, a 545-seat auditorium and stately rotunda designated as a “great teachers memorial hall.” An outdoor courtyard provides students and faculty with a beautiful space to relax, socialize or study.
HOUSTON MARKHAM JR. FOOTBALL COMPLEX (2011) is 33,165 square feet, costing more than $7 million. This state-of-the-art facility boasts its own 5,000-square-foot weight room, 650-square-foot multi-purpose area, 1,575-square-foot team room, 1,870-square-foot locker room, 1,512-square-foot Training room and a 1,110-square-foot academic lab. Architectural features include a 1,290-square-foot, two-story atrium and a balcony overlooking the football practice field, smart boards in the team room and energy-saving devices, such as HVAC controls.
WHEELER-WATKINS BASEBALL COMPLEX (2011) is a $3.9 million baseball complex that has brought baseball back to ASU’s campus for the first time since 1996. It features an intramural soccer/football field, a press box, bathrooms, dugouts, a concession stand, parking, lighting and seating.
HORNET STADIUM (2012) opened for the Turkey Day Classic in November of 2012. Visible from Interstate-85, the new stadium boasts 26,500 seats, 20 skyboxes, 200 loge seats, 750 club seats, two party terraces and general admission berm seating. The new facility is located adjacent to the north Hall Street entranceway and runs at a slight angle alongside I-85. The main entrance into the stadium faces Hall Street is linked to a campus-wide pedestrian corridor. This state-of-the-art, on-campus stadium hosts Alabama State football on campus for the first time since 1973. The facility is designed to accommodate other major events such as concerts and festivals as well as smaller events such as receptions and meetings. Retail space, a restaurant and administration offices are some of the amenities that allow this stadium to be used 365 days a year.
RESIDENTIAL FACILITY I (2011) is located on the east side of the campus, this four-story, contemporary co-ed residence hall provides living spaces for 250 residents. The hall has single and double bedrooms for upper-class male and female students. This building features suite-style accommodations with bathrooms. Additionally, each floor features study rooms and food preparation areas.
RESIDENTIAL FACILITY II (2011) is also located on the east side of the campus, this four-story, contemporary co-ed residence hall provides living spaces for 250 residents. The hall has single and double bedrooms for upper class male and female students. This building features suite-style accommodations with bathrooms. Additionally, each floor features study rooms and food preparation areas.
GARRICK HARDY STUDENT SERVICE CENTER (2012) is a hub for all major student activities. Designed as a one-stop shop for recreation and for transacting important student business, the new 81,000-square-foot facility is sure to make campus life more fun – and more convenient. Amenities for the new Student Services Center include a food court, Movie Theater, and cyber café, TV lounge, multipurpose lounge, recreation room, ballroom, locker rooms, bookstore and casual study lounge. For the convenience of students, it houses the admissions office, financial aid office, housing office, student accounts, records and registration, student ID station, post office, police security station and student life offices.
BARBARA WILLIAMS SOFTBALL COMPLEX (2012) has allowed softball competition onto the ASU campus for the first time. The complex was named for a celebrated pioneer in ASU women’s athletics. The $1.6 million softball complex was dedicated in April 2012. The complex is a sleek modern facility with more than 200 seats and recessed dugouts.
WHEELER-WATKINS BASEBALL COMPLEX (2011) The Wheeler-Watkins Baseball Complex was opened in dedicated in February 2012. The new complex, which opened in March 2011, is named in honor of two former head baseball coaches, Herbert Wheeler and Larry Watkins. The $3.9 million baseball complex was completed in the spring of 2011 and brought baseball back to ASU's campus for the first time since 1996.
BRUNSWICK BOWLING LANES Brunswick Bowling Lanes is the home facility of the Alabama State Bowling program.
ROBERT TRENT JONES - CAPITOL HILL RTJ-Capitol Hill is the home facility of the Alabama State Golf program. Located in Prattville, approximately 13 miles north of Alabama's state capital, Capitol Hill features three 18-hole championship courses.
ASU SOCCER COMPLEX (2012) Located on the east side of ASU campus and in the shadows of The New ASU Stadium, the complex has a natural grass facility.
PUBLIC SAFETY BUILDING/POLICE DEPARTMENT. The Campus Police Department is a full-service agency that is open 24 hours a day and is located at 1452 Carter Hill Road. Full safety and Police services are always available. To report a crime or request service, please call 334-229-4400.
Growth in size and facilities is part of the story of any dynamic institution and Alabama State University is no exception. In 1962, the student body numbered about 1,600 and the university’s 52-acre campus encompassed only 12 permanent buildings. Since then, the student population has increased to approximately 5,600. The campus has also grown, covering about 146 acres with 63 permanent buildings. The buildings are set in a landscape design that rivals the most beautiful urban campuses in the South. The replacement value of land, buildings and equipment is estimated at $310,374,915.
ACADEMIC PLANNING AND EFFECTIVENESS
Reporting to the Office of the Provost, this unit consists of the following offices: (1) Academic Planning and Evaluation, (2) Institutional Research, (3) the SACSCOC Accreditation Office, (4) Testing Center, (5) the Center for Innovative Educational Practices and Services (CIEPS), and (6) Academic Center for Educational Success (ACES). The unit provides annual and long-range planning assistance and coordinates the development, administration and evaluation of the university’s planning efforts targeting various constituents.
Office of Academic Planning and Evaluation
The mission of the Office of Academic Planning and Evaluation is to support strategic and budgetary planning and decision-making through the analysis, presentation, and distribution of relevant and timely information, program analyses, and projections for future trends. The office also provides support in the following areas: research, technical assistance, consultation, training and resources to ensure the continuous improvement of programs and operational processes of all academic and administrative areas within the Division of Academic Affairs.
Office of Institutional Research
Institutional Research has the primary mission of conducting research within the university to provide information which supports institutional planning, policy formation and decision-making. The unit plays a very important role in the university’s program evaluation and outcomes assessment activities. In this regard, it may conduct surveys of graduates and former students; and it may conduct needs assessment studies designed to guide the development of new programs. This unit works closely with management information systems and academic computing in the design of data files to serve faculty, staff and student information needs. By virtue of its responsibilities for data and information about the university, Institutional Research is assigned responsibilities that need not be considered university research. The following are illustrative.
The Office of Institutional Research is responsible for the university’s responses to national statistical surveys, such as the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) of the National Center for Education Statistics. Similarly, data forms must also be completed for the Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE). The Office of Institutional Research also provides the continuing point of contact for ACHE on matters relating to institutional data. Institutional Research staff may be asked to serve on agency committees where a central concerned 462
Office of Testing and Psychological Services
The Office of Testing and Psychological Services, or the Testing Center, serves the needs of the entire university with respect to standardized test administration, computer-generated test development, and test scoring and reporting. Testing dates for local, state and national examinations are announced at the beginning of each academic year. Students are urged to obtain a schedule from the Testing Center for information concerning tests they may require. Computerized academic evaluation support is provided by the Testing Center to faculty and staff in their efforts to maintain the highest levels of quality and effectiveness in all curricular programs. In addition, the Testing Center provides survey and related assistance in accordance with the university’s planning, management, and evaluation systems.
Center for Innovative Educational Practices and Services (CIEPS)
The Center for Innovative Educational Practices and Services (CIEPS) was developed to serve as a conduit for bridging teaching and learning using contemporary pedagogical approaches. The CIEPS supports increasing the quality and delivery of academic programs and enhancing student achievement and excellence in teaching at all levels through continuous, high-quality professional development. Another function of the CIEPS is to align curriculum and assessment practices across colleges toward assuring continuity in aligning program goals and the attainment of education objectives. In short, CIEPS is a comprehensive resource center at Alabama State University for all faculty, students and departments at every stage of development.
Academic Center for Educational Success
The Academic Center for Educational Success or A.C.E.S. is a retention initiative aimed to provide comprehensive academic support services to all ASU students. ACES two-fold approach involves academic prevention (enrichment) opportunities (e.g. workshops, academic labs, etc.) for students who are in good academic standing; and mandatory intervention support services (e.g. intrusive advising, early alert grades system, workshops, mentoring, etc.) for students who are conditionally enrolled through the Bridge program or who are not meeting University and/or Financial Aid academic standards. The overarching goals of the ACES office are to 1) decrease attrition due to financial aid ineligibility and academic suspension/dismissal; and 2) increase the rate of course completion, which will result in higher graduation rates.
OTHER ACADEMIC FUNCTIONS
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Research and Sponsored Programs provides ongoing assistance in raising funds to support university operations in areas wherein state funds are either inadequate or the use of state funds is prohibited. Also, this office renders special activities which reside outside the regular instructional program. The director gathers information on available funding sources, assists interested parties in proposal preparation and serves as a liaison between external agencies. In addition, this office coordinates other grants to ensure compliance with grant regulations once a funded proposal is received by the university.
Corporate and Grants Development provides ongoing assistance in raising funds to support university operations in areas wherein state funds are either inadequate or the use of state funds is prohibited. Also, this office renders special activities which reside outside the regular instructional program. The director gathers information on available funding sources, assists interested parties in proposal preparation and serves as a liaison between external agencies. In addition, this office coordinates other grants to ensure compliance with grant regulations once a funded proposal is received by the university. It is also involved in assisting the administration in developing and nurturing an institutional endowment program.
Office of Title III
The Title III program provides federal funds to assist the institution in strengthening its physical plant, academic resources and student services as it participates in fulfilling the goal of quality educational opportunities.
NATIONAL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
The National Alumni Association of Alabama State University is the organization that includes among its members graduates and former students who have attended the university for at least two full semesters or three quarters. To become active members of the National Alumni Association, eligible alumni join a local alumni chapter by payment of local and national dues as established by the governing bodies and make annual contributions to the university. Associate memberships are granted to spouses of graduates and, to a limited degree, persons who have strong affection for the university and make significant tangible gestures of support.
University relations activities are coordinated by the director for alumni relations, annual and planned to give, who serves on the association’s executive board and works closely with the affiliated alumni chapters. These activities include maintaining a computer file of alumni names and addresses, publication of the alumni directory, fundraising, student recruitment, organizing class reunions, promoting major athletic events among alumni and assisting in the preparation of alumni news for university publications.
Faculty members are encouraged to strengthen the alumni and students’ allegiance to the university through promotion of the alumni association. Faculty who are alumni of the university can add credibility to alumni activities and best show their support by becoming active members of the alumni association. A strong alumni association, as an advocate, can do much to strengthen the university and the welfare of its faculty and students.
The Alabama State University Foundation was chartered under the laws of the state of Alabama on Dec. 27, 1967, as a nonprofit organization incorporated to receive and to hold gifts, grants, bequests, money, property and other things of value for the benefit of the university, its faculty and its students and to give the university such resources for educational and research purposes.
Activities of the foundation include loans, grants and matching funds for students; grants and loans for study leaves; salary supplements for “master teachers”; financial assistance for research for eligible faculty; and assistance for university development.
Contributions to the foundation are exempt from federal income tax, free from state control and do not displace tax funds.
The president of the university is liaison officer for the foundation and the only university employee who serves on its board of directors. An administrative officer or member of the faculty may serve on each standing committee of the foundation.
UNIVERSITY WOMEN’S CLUB
The University Women’s Club of Alabama State University, organized in 1970, has as its purpose to promote friendly association among women members of the faculty and wives of university faculty and administrators. In addition to sponsoring social, cultural, recreational and intellectual activities, the club aims to promote service projects for educational and philanthropic purposes and to further other interests of the university.
Membership is open to faculty women, women administrators, wives of administrators, wives of faculty members, the wife of the governor, women members and wives of members of the university’s board of trustees, and past presidents of the club. Widows of faculty members, women faculty and administrators who have retired and wives of retired faculty members are also eligible for membership.
Marketing at ASU encompasses a broad array of services and functional areas, including advertising, brand management, community relations, University hosting through the Golden Ambassadors, market research, marketing databases and university events.
University Relations serves as a liaison between the internal and external public and the university. University Relations molds public perceptions about the institution and shapes the university’s identity through public relations and integrated marketing and communications efforts. It does this through media relations and news services, photography, publications, sports information and Web management.
WVAS-FM as provided musical, informational and cultural programming since it signed on to the airwaves in June 1984 with its 80,000-watt stereo signal. Today, it offers many avenues for the university to deliver its marketing and communications messages. Not only does the radio station report ASU happenings and help coordinate publicity of those happenings, but it also functions as a source of state, local, national and international news and provides weekly public affairs programs.
CENTER FOR LEADERSHIP AND PUBLIC POLICY
The Center for Leadership and Public Policy works to improve the overall socio- economic status of the citizens of Alabama and its neighbors by promoting greater cooperation and enhancing communications between academia and the community.
The Center aggressively seeks opportunities to assist the private sector and government agencies in improving the lives of Alabama’s citizens. In addition, the Center is an affiliate of the Alabama State Data Center and houses both historical and prospective Census information.
The program’s purpose is to improve access to and facilitate use of Census Bureau products and services by Alabama’s residents, business people and state and local government agencies and employees.