Candidate's Rules and Events
While COVID-19 may have redirected our lives at the moment, we know that the Bama State Spirit is strong and resilient! And, the virus will not stop our ability to nurture and develop our leaders!
As a result, this season’s SGA and Miss ASU & Class Queens Elections will be done via Digital Campaigning and Voting. Digital Campaigning and Voting will consist of allowing candidates to utilize social media platforms to highlight themselves and their campaigns.
Candidates will be allowed to use Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, YouTube and Tik Tok to post approved campaign materials. The official university social media pages for campaigning will be:
Instagram (myasu_boardofelections) and Twitter (@myASUElections)
In addition, the Elections Committee has developed a set of new and updated Election Code, Rules and Guidelines for Digital Campaigning and Voting. Candidates’ failure to comply with this code, as well as rules and regulations of Digital Campaigning and Voting, will result in an automatic disqualification.
1) All candidates for Miss ASU & Royal Court must possess and maintain a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 grade scale. All candidates for SGA President/Vice President must possess and maintain a 2.8 GPA on a 4.0 grade scale. All candidates for SGA Secretary/Treasurer/Senator must maintain a 2.6 GPA on a 4.0 grade scale. If the winner or candidate's GPA falls below the required GPA, they will not be eligible and must forfeit his/her title.
2) Elected Candidates MUST still meet all educational, financial and behavioral requirements and qualifications for the upcoming school year by May 1, 2020.
3) Candidates are only allowed to use APPROVED social media platforms.
4) All Candidates are MANDATED to use the hashtag #myASUElections and #olebamastatespirit on ALL social media platforms
5) Only the candidate vying for an elected position can post campaign flyers and materials. Therefore, your campaign team can ONLY REPOST the original posting (i.e., story sharing with “repost” included, “repost in hashtags,” or “repost” attached to campaign flyer).
6) Candidates are allowed to make instantaneous videos about their campaign; however, if a prerecorded video was not sent to the Elections Committee prior to Campaign Week, it CANNOT be posted.
7) Candidates can livestream about their campaign, speeches and platforms on any of the APPROVED social media platforms.
8) Any posting of negative or distasteful statements that injure the reputation or character of another candidate WILL NOT be tolerated. It is suggested that candidates also share this information with their campaign teams. Demonstrated evidence that this rule has been violated will result in an automatic disqualification. Remember, Digital Campaigning and Voting creates a searchable and verifiable “Digital Footprint!”
9) There shall be NO physical campaigning on campus, at this time. Candidates, who placed items up on campus, prior to students’ departures, will need to make arrangements to return to campus, to remove their items, once the State of Alabama and university’s Shelter-In-Place directive has been lifted.