Overview of Assessment
Overview of Assessment at Alabama State University
Assessment is done first and foremost to improve student learning. The process involves:
- gathering information about how our students are learning;
- reviewing and reflecting on that information;
- and then using those results to improve learning.
The Center for Teaching and Learning with its Faculty Advisory Board developed a formal academic assessment process designed to:
- clarify and communicate learning goals and outcomes;
- gather and analyze evidence of learning related to goals;
- encourage thoughtful revisions to curriculum and teaching strategies;
- facilitate the sharing of information about student learning and successful practices among the University's colleges, departments, and programs; and,
- meet The Higher Learning Commission and other accrediting agencies’ requirements.
The assessment process incorporated input from faculty, deans, and university administrators and was approved by Faculty Council in 2001. Leadership and direction for assessment policies and procedures at Alabama State University are provided by Alabama State University.