Expenses and Financial Aid

The following schedule outlines the tuition and fees for graduate students at Alabama State University effective at the time this bulletin was printed. Other special fees for academic services available to students may apply. All fees are due and payable at the time of registration. Registration is not complete until all fees are paid. The University will accept cash, checks, money orders, Master Card, VISA, Discover, American Express and approved forms of student financial aid awards. A service charge of $30 will be assessed on all returned checks. Under certain conditions, a student may be permitted to register and subsequently pay a portion of the fees in installments (refer to Procedure for Issuance of Promissory Notes). The following tuition and fees apply to graduate students:

Graduate Students Tuition
Alabama Resident Non-Alabama Resident
Tuition - Per Credit Hour $343 $686
Tuition - Master of Education (Online) Per Credit Hour $578 $578


Graduate Students Fees*
Application Fee (nonrefundable) 25.00
Audit Course (without credit, per course) 50.00
Late Registration: First week, beginning with the first day of classes 15.00
Graduation fees (includes cap and gown rental) 100.00
In absentia, per degree, additional charge 10.00
Achievement certificate (noncredit programs) 5.00
 Transcript of record, per copy after first copy ( in office) 7.00
 Transcript (Online) 9.25
 Transcript (Overnight Request) 31.95
Replacement I.D./meal card 25.00
Thesis binding (per copy and exclusive of mailing cost)** 30.00
Miller Analogies Test (MAT) 70.00
Campus Parking Fee:
  Vehicle registration (per year) 70.00
  Traffic fines Assessed per violation
General University Fee:
  1-5 credit hours 571.00
  6 or credit hours 1,142.00
Master of Education (Online) Fee (per term) 125.00

*Fees are subject to change at the discretion of the University.

** The Murphy Graduate School requires a minimum of two bound copies of a thesis. The nonrefundable charge for binding is subject to change consistent with increased binding and postal costs.)


To receive proper credit for a course, the student must be officially registered for the course in the Office of Records and Registration, and the student’s name must be listed on the official class roster. A student who attends a class without official registration will not be permitted to remain in class and will not receive a grade for the course.

Any student who fails to comply with the official registration rules and regulations will not be allowed to petition for course credit.

Detailed registration steps are printed in the course schedule book available in the Office of Records and Registration located in the J.G. Hardy Student Center. It is the student’s responsibility to become familiar with the registration process. A late registration fee of $15 is added when registering after the first official day of classes.

Registration for graduate students is to be completed on-line. Registration procedures are detailed on the Alabama State University Website and course availability can be accessed through Hornetsweb (www.alasu.edu). Students may register on-line from any computer lab located on campus or from any off-campus locations. Students are required to attain advisement prior to registration and should contact The Murphy Graduate School prior to registration to ensure that all test requirements, etc. has been met that might prevent registration.

Unregistered students will not be allowed to remain in class if their names do not appear on the official class roster or if they do not have a class schedule at the end of the late registration period.

Any exception to this policy must be approved by the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Withdrawal from a Course

A student who chooses to withdraw from a course after the last day of the drop/add period may do so without the approval of the course instructor or the dean. This action will result in the student receiving a ―W‖ for the course. A‖W‖ denotes an official withdrawal from the course and is not calculated into the cumulative grade point average (GPA). A student may withdraw from a course up through the week of midterm examinations. The deadline date for withdrawing from a course (usually the Tuesday after midterm week) is stipulated in the academic calendar. All official withdrawals must be made through the Office of Records and Registration. Official withdrawals may be done online or through the Office of Records and Registration (If withdrawing from all courses).

When a student, as a result of emergency circumstances, is forced to withdraw from a course after the established withdrawal date for the term; the student may petition, in writing, the dean of the school in which the course is offered for approval to withdraw from the course. A student may not withdraw from a course after the deadline if he or she is failing. The dean will contact the student’s instructor to determine the student’s scholastic standing at the time of the request to withdraw.

If a student registers and stops attending a course; the course must be officially dropped through the Office of Records and Registration or a grade of ―WF‖ will be recorded by the instructor.

If a student registers and never attends any class sessions for a particular course, a grade of ―X‖ will be recorded for the course; unless the student officially withdraws through the Office of Records and Registration. A grade of ―X‖ may result in the reduction of a student’s aid award and/or the creation of a financial balance on the student’s account.

If the student improperly adds a course and does not process a schedule change form through the Office of Records and Registration, no credit will be allowed and he or she will not receive a grade for the course.

Policy on Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to withdraw from the university must file an official notice with the Office of Records and Registration. One of the following methods may be used:

  • Completion of the official withdrawal from the university form in the Office of Records and Registration
  • Submission of a letter to the Office of Records and Registration indicating the request to withdraw from the University via mail or fax.

Requests for withdrawal from the university must be received in the Office of Records and Registration by the last day of classes of the semester the student wishes to be withdrawn. Students who officially withdraw will receive ―W‖ grade designations for the term of withdrawal.

Refunds of Tuition for Withdrawal and Cancellation from the University during Fall and Spring Terms

For those students who withdraw from the University or who are withdrawn by the University, charges and refunds of tuition are governed by the following policy:

  • In the event of death, involuntary call to active military duty or a situation in which the University is in error, no charges will be assessed and refund of full tuition will be granted.
  • In all cases of withdrawal or enrollment cancellation from the University, students will be charged or have tuition refunded according to the following schedule:
    • Cancellation/withdrawal before classes begin: no tuition will be charged/full refund.
    • Cancellation/withdrawal during the second week of classes: 20 percent will be charged/80 percent refunded;
    • Cancellation/withdrawal during the third week of classes: 40 percent will be charged/60 percent refunded;
    • Cancellation/withdrawal during the fourth or fifth week of classes; 60 percent will be charged/40 percent refunded;
    • Cancellation/withdrawal during or after sixth week of classes; 100 percent will be charged/no refund.


Refunds will be issued as soon as possible. Refunds are subject to deduction for any amount owed to Alabama State University by the student.

No refunds are made for special fees except for the excess load fee, audit fee.

Students suspended for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for refunds or cancellation of amount due.

Withdrawal Charges and Refunds during Summer Term

The following refund policies apply for students attending a summer term:

  • Cancellation/withdrawal before classes begin; no tuition will be charged/full refund;
  • Cancellation/withdrawal during the first week of classes; 20 percent will be charged/80 percent refunded;
  • Cancellation/withdrawal during the second week of classes; 40 percent will be charged/60 percent refunded;
  • Cancellation/withdrawal during the third or fourth week of classes; 60 percent will be charged/40 percent refunded;
  • Cancellation/withdrawal during or after the fifth week of classes; 100 percent will be charged/no refund.

Students who fail to redeem (pay) their promissory note by the third week of classes will be administratively withdrawn (disenrolled) from the University during the fourth week. Reinstatement is prohibited unless disenrollment occurred as the result of an administrative error.

Students are not permitted to and faculty members must ensure that, students do not remain in class(es) or continue credit- generating work after their registration has been cancelled.


All students requesting on-campus housing must pay a $200 deposit to reserve accommodations. This deposit is non- refundable except in a case where the University cannot provide accommodations. The housing contract is binding for the semester or summer term for which the contract is issued. The full fee charged for the term is due and payable, even though the student voluntarily withdraws or is involuntarily withdrawn from the University. Students who desire campus housing should apply directly to the Director of Housing, Alabama State University, Montgomery, AL 36101-0271. On- campus housing for graduate students is limited.

Housing (optional) $1,423 - $2,275 (per semester) Board (required if living in campus housing, Available to off-campus students) $1,038 (per semester)

Non-Alabama Resident Students

Students who are not legal residents of the state of Alabama may be admitted only as nonresident students, and payment of the out-state-fee is required. The following rules apply:

  1. Students residing outside the state of Alabama will be required to pay the out-of-state fee.
  2. Students of legal age whose parents or legal guardians reside outside the state of Alabama will be required to pay the out-of-state fee.
  3. Any adult or emancipated minor student who actually resides within the state of Alabama and has not moved to the state for the sole purpose of attending the university shall be considered a resident of the state of Alabama as of their arrival in the state.
  4. Any student may at any time be required to submit proof of residence in Alabama. In addition to such public records as may tend to establish proof of residence, an affidavit of the parent or guardian in the case of minor students, and from the student who has reached his/her legal age, may be required.
  5. By definition, all international students, whether holding diplomatic, student, visitor, or other nonimmigrant visas, must pay the non-Alabama resident fee. Those misrepresenting themselves in this respect in order to avoid paying the non-Alabama resident fee will be subject to disciplinary action by the university. In all cases of doubt, the burden of proof of residence status will be upon the student.

Veterans’ Expenses

Disabled veterans who are eligible for admission to the University may register for courses without payment of fees if they are certified by the Veterans Administration.

Full payment of fees is required if the veteran does not have his or her Disabled Certification of Eligibility at the time of registration. The cash payment will be refunded when the veteran presents his or her Disabled Certificate of Eligibility.

Nondisabled veterans must pay their fees at the time they register. They will receive specified allowance under Public Law 89-358.

Veterans and dependents eligible for reimbursement of educational expenses under the Alabama G.I. and Dependents’ Benefit Act, as amended by Act 1275 on Sept. 19, 1973, may have their expenses billed by and paid directly to the Univer- sity.

Sons and daughters of deceased veterans covered under Public Law 634 must pay their fees at the time of registration. They will receive specified allowances under Public Law 634.

Delinquent Accounts

Any student who has a delinquent account (amounts due past the due date) may forfeit the privilege of attending classes and shall not be allowed to register for a new term until his or her account has been paid in full. The University will withhold report of grades, transcripts of records and diplomas until the indebtedness is paid.

Accounts delinquent for more than two academic terms shall be placed with collection agencies for collection and the student will bear the collection cost.

Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid at Alabama State University provides assistance to students seeking approval for financial support of their education. All students seeking Federal Financial Aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For further information, please call the Financial Aid Office, (334) 229-4323.

The University makes every effort to provide adequate financial assistance for capable and promising students who would otherwise be unable to attend. Financial assistance may be obtained in the form of grants, loans, scholarships, student employment or a combination thereof. Information describing the various financial aid programs and how to apply may be obtained online at www.alasu.edu, under Cost & Aid.

Financial Aid Application Procedures

Each applicant interested in financial aid must follow these specific steps:

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Include Alabama State University’s federal school code 001005.
  2. Complete additional data necessary to clarify or verify the financial information you submitted. Requests for additional data will be sent to you by the University.
  3. Complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note for federal loans awarded at www.studentloans.gov .
  4. Be enrolled at least half-time to receive federal loans.
  5. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). SAP policy may be reviewed at www.alasu.edu under Cost & Aid.

These application procedures apply to both in-state and out-of- state students.

The priority date for financial aid applications is April 1st.

All student loans administered by the financial aid office are for current costs of attendance – tuition, fees, room and board, transportation, books, etc. A brief description of the loan programs follow:

Federal Perkins Loan is a federal program which provides loans to students who can demonstrate financial need. The maximum aggregate loan for a graduate student is $18,000, including undergraduate loans. The amount of the loan is based on financial need.

Repayment of the loan begins nine months after the student leaves school. The minimum repayment is $40 per month and may be extended to a maximum of 10 years. Interest is not charged during periods of enrollment.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is a program whereby a graduate or professional student may borrow up to $20,500 per academic year for educational expenses, provided they have not exceeded the aggregate limit of $138,500. Repayment begins six months after the student leaves school.

Federal Direct Plus Loan (Grad Plus) makes long-term loans to pay for the cost of study at postsecondary schools. Graduate and professional students may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus other aid awarded. A credit check is performed. Students who are not approved have the option of obtaining an endorser or appealing the credit decision.

Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available to qualified full-time students (enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) credit hours) whose overall undergraduate or graduate grade point average is 3.0 or better and who have been admitted to a graduate degree program at Alabama State University. Assistantships are normally awarded for the academic year. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a minimum class load of nine (9) graduate credit hours, maintain an overall GPA or 3.0, and agree to work for a minimum of 20 hours per week. Although awards and assignments are made by the Graduate Dean, they are done so with departmental/college approval. Applications are available in The Murphy Graduate School, Councill Hall 201.

The Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership, Policy, and Law provides both student assistantships and fellowships. These involve both a tuition waiver and stipend. Each requires work within the program. Contact the graduate program coor- dinator for further information.

The Doctoral Program in Microbiology provides program- supported teaching assistantships and faculty-supported research assistantships. Contact the graduate program coordinator/director for further information

The Master of Science Program in Biology may provide a small percentage of its full-time students GRAs or sponsored students supported by faculty research grants, federal training grants or GTA awards. M.S. students who receive GTA appointments will be assigned to assist with laboratory courses or other specialized departmental assignments designated by the Graduate Program Director and the Chair of the department. Contact the graduate program director for more information.

The Master of Science Program in Forensic Science offers tuition and stipend support for a percentage of its full-time program students. Contact the graduate program coordinator for further information.

The Master of Accountancy Scholarship at Alabama State University provides funds to cover tuition and books for students who have been admitted to the master’s degree program and meet specified criteria. Applications for the scholarship may be obtained by writing to Dr. Dave Thompson, Director Master of Accountancy Program.

The Teacher Education Scholarship at Alabama State University provides funds to cover tuition and books for students who have been admitted to a nontraditional teacher education program.