Frequently Asked Questions
What is a hybrid course?
A hybrid course meets at least 50% of the time in the classroom. The other part of the course is held online
How much time should I expect to spend on an online course?
You should expect to spend the same amount of time on an online course as you attending and studying for an on-campus course
How do I login to my online course (for the first time)?
Access ASU’s Blackboard Learn
• Your username is as follows:
o 1st initial of 1st Name + Last Name + last 4 digits of Campus Wide ID
• Your password is as follows:
When do I get a Blackboard Account?
Your Blackboard account should be available on the first day of the course. If you register during ADD/DROP registration, it should be available approximately 24-48 hours after you register.
When does my online class begin? When does it end?
All online courses begin on the first official day of class for the semester and session. Please check the course schedule for the exact date. Online students are expected to login to Blackboard on the first day of class and at least 3-5 days per week. When you login to your online course, you will see the expectations and deadlines for the course. Failure to log into the course during the first 2 weeks may result in being Dropped from the course and being disabled in the course.
All online courses are not self-paced. Each instructor has a schedule with assignment due dates that must be met.
Online courses end on the last day of the semester and session. See the Course Schedule and the course syllabus for that exact date for each session within each semester.
How do I get started in my online course?
You will be able to access your online course the same day that classes begin. You should login to your course the first day of the semester.
How do I turn in assignments communicate with my instructor, and take tests/exams?
- Online students turn in homework/assignments and communicate with their instructor through the Blackboard system, internal course mail, or by using other course tools as stated in the course syllabus. Many of your questions about Blackboard can be answered by accessing the frequently asked questions about Blackboard.
- Check your course syllabus to find out when you instructor may be available
- Students communicate with other students enrolled in the course through private course mail and public “discussion board” postings.
- Students in most courses take their tests online using Blackboard testing capabilities
What about privacy?
The Blackboard LMS provides a secure password protected learning environment. Only your instructor, course administrators, and students enrolled in the course have access to course content. Students have access to their grades only; they cannot see the grades of other students
Who do I contact with questions pertaining to the course?
Contact your instructor. Check your course syllabus for contact information.