Dr. Komal Vig
Komal Vig, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Dr. Komal Vig joined as Assistant Professor of Biology at ASU in 2009. She obtained her Bachelor`s and Master`s degrees in Zoology from University of Delhi, India. Dr. Vig received her Ph.D. degree in Environmental toxicology from University of Delhi in India. She joined Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Australia as a Visiting Postdoctoral Scientist after her Ph.D and worked with remediation group on remediation of contaminated sites.
Dr Vig`s current research includes nanobiotechnology. She is focused on designing nanomaterials for drug delivery, vaccine delivery and for therapy of diseases. Dr Vig`s research interest includes:
1) RNA interference using nanomaterials for respiratory syncytial virus inhibition
2) Superparamagnetic iron oxide particles as drug delivery agents
3) Nanomaterials as antimicrobials against bacteria
4) Nanomaterials effect on eukaryotic gene expression
(i) Peer Reviewed Scientific Journals
1.Vardharajula S, Ali SZ, Tiwari PM, Eroğlu E, Vig K, Dennis VA, Singh SR. 2012. Functionalized carbon nanotubes: biomedical applications. Intl. J. of Nanomedicine. 7, 5361-5374.
2. Boyoglu-Barnum S., Subbarayan P., Vig K., et al. 2012. Nano-encapsulated DNA and/or protein boost immunizations increase efficiency of DNA vaccine protection against RSV. J. Nanomed. Nanotechnol. 3(2). 1000132.
3. Tiwari, P.M., Vig, K., Dennis, V.A., Singh, S.R. 2011. Functionalized Gold Nanoparticles and Their Biomedical Applications. Nanomaterials, 1, 31-63. doi:10.3390/nano1010031 published online 14 June 2011.
4. Cleon Barnett, Courtnee Bell, Komal Vig, A. C. Akpovo, Lewis Johnson, Shreekumar Pillai, Shree Singh. 2011. Development of a LIBS assay for the detection of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium from food. Anal Bioanal Chem (DOI 10.1007/s00216-011-4844-3.
5. Vijaya Kumar Rangari, Mohammad M Ghouse, Shaik Jeelani, Angel Hundley, Komal Vig, Shree Ram Singh and Shreekumar Pillai. 2010. Synthesis of Ag/CNTs hybrid nanoparticles and fabrication of their nylon-6 polymer nanocomposite fibers for antimicrobial applications. Nanotechnology 21: 095102 (11pp). doi: 10.1088/0957-4484/21/9/095102
6. Vig K, N. Lewis, E.G. Moore, S. Pillai, V.A. Dennis, S.R. Singh. 2009. Secondary RNA structure and its role in RNA interference to silence the respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein gene. Molecular Biotechnology 43(3): 200-211.
7. Boyoglu S, K. Vig, S. Pillai, V. Rangari, V. Dennis, F. Khazi, S. R. Singh. 2009. Enhanced Delivery and Expression of a Nanoencapsulated DNA Vaccine Vector for RSV. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 5 (4): 463-472.
8. Supriya Goswami, Komal Vig, Dileep K. Singh. 2009. Biodegradation of α and β endosulfan by Aspergillus sydoni. Chemosphere 75 (7): 883-888.
9. Vig K, R. Herzog, D. Martin, E.G. Moore, V.A. Dennis, S. Pillai, S.R. Singh. 2008. Recombinant adeno-associated virus as vaccine delivery vehicles. Gene Ther Mol Biol. 12: 277-292.
10. Lova Sun, Singh A., Vig K., Pillai S. R., Singh S. R. 2008. Silver nanoparticles inhibit replication of Respiratory Syncytial Virus. J. Biomed. Nanotech. 4, 1-10.
11. Vig K., Singh D.K., H.C. Agarwal, Dhawan A.K. and Dureja P. 2008. Soil microorganisms in soil of cotton fields sequentially treated with insecticides. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 69, Issue 2, 263-276.
12. Vig K., Singh D.K., and H.C. Agarwal. 2006. Dissipation and degradation of 14C monocrotophos in soil under field conditions. J. Environmental Science and Health B Vol.B41, No.4, 1-7.
13. Vig K., Singh D.K. and P.K. Sharma. 2006. Endosulfan and Quinalphos residues and toxicity to soil microarthropods after repeated applications in a field investigation. J. Environmental Science and Health B, Vol.B41, No.5, 681-692.
14. Mayanglambam Thoibi, Vig K. and Singh D. K. 2005. Quinalphos persistence, leaching and effects on dehydrogenase and alkaline phosphatase activities in soil. Bulletin of Environment Contamination & Toxicology, 76 (6), 1067-1076.
15. Susheela A. K., Bhatnagar M., Vig K., Mondal N. K. 2005. Excess fluoride ingestion and thyroid hormone derangements in children living in Delhi, India. Fluoride, 38(2), 98–108.
16. Vig K., Megharaj M., Sethunathan N. and Naidu R. 2002. Bioavailability and toxicity of cadmium to microorganisms and their activities in soil: a review. Advances in Environmental Research, 8, 121-135.
17. Vig K., Singh D.K., H.C Agarwal, Dhawan A.K. and Dureja P. 2001. Insecticide residues in cotton crop soil. J. Environmental Science and Health B36 (4), 421-434.
(ii) Book Chapters
· Komal Vig et al. 2012. “Nanomedicine: Future for Diagnostics and Therapeutics" in
in NANOTECHNOLOGY, vol 7: Diagnostics and Therapeutics (eds Govil J. N.). Studium Press LLC, Houston, TX.
(iii) Technical Proceedings/ Documents
1. Komal Vig, Pooja Tiwari, Arifa Parveen, Vijay Rangari, Shree R. Singh. 2012. Supermagnatic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Toxicity to Mammalian Cells. NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and expo, June 18-21, Santa Clara, California.
2. Vig K., S. Boyoglu, V. Rangari, S. Pillai, and S.R. Singh. 2009. Respiratory Syncytial Virus Inhibition by Gold and Titanium Nanoparticles. NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, May 3-7, 2009, Houston, TX.
3. Seyhan Boyoglu, Komal Vig, Adam Pfendt, Shreekumar Pillai, Gerold A. Willing, Shree R. Singh. 2009. Inhibitory Effects of Gold and Silver Nanoparticles on RSV Studied by Atomic Force Microscopy. NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, May 3-7, 2009, Houston, TX.
4. Lekha Adiani, Seyhan Boyoglu, Komal Vig, Shreekumar Pillai, Vijaya Rangari, Shree R. Singh. 2009. Silver Coated Carbon Nanotubes Inhibit RSV Infection. NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, May 3-7, 2009, Houston, TX.
5. Vig K., S. Boyoglu, V. Rangari, L. Sun, A. Singh, S. Pillai, and S.R. Singh. 2008. Use of Nanoparticles as Therapy for Respiratory Syncytial Virus Inhibition. NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, June 1-5, 2008, Boston, MA.
6. Seyhan Boyoglu, K. Vig, V. Rangari, S. Pillai, V. Dennis, and S.R. Singh. 2008. Evaluation of Nanoencapsulated DNA vaccine for RSV. NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, June 1-5, 2008, Boston, MA.
7. Vig K., Singh D.K., H.C Agarwal, Dhawan A.K., Dureja P. 2001. Effect of repeated pesticide applications on soil properties in cotton fields. I. Impact on microbes, iron reduction capacity and respiration. In “Impact of Long-term Pesticide Use on soil Properties using Radiotracer Techniques”. IAEA-TECDOC-1248, 99-118.
8. Vig K., Singh D.K., H.C Agarwal, Dhawan A.K., Dureja P. 2001. Effect of repeated pesticide applications on soil properties in cotton fields. II. Insecticide residues and impact on dehydrogenase and arginine deaminase activities. In “Impact of Long-term Pesticide Use on soil Properties using Radiotracer Techniques”. IAEA-TECDOC-1248, 119-128.
9. Vig K., Singh D.K., and H.C. Agarwal. 2001. Dissipation and leaching of 14C-monocrotophos in soil columns. In “Impact of Long-term Pesticide Use on soil Properties using Radiotracer Techniques”. IAEA-TECDOC-1248, 137-141.