Welcome to the Certification webpage. It is our pleasure to assist you as you matriculate through your program in the College of Education. We are a support office that offers assistance with admissions for both undergraduate and graduate students. The Certification Department is responsible for unconditional admission, graduation review, and certification. We hope that the information provided here is helpful. Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at (334) 229-4271. Thank you in advance.
Departmental Mission and Goals
The Teacher Certification Office is the conduit between the teacher education candidates and the Alabama State Department of Education. Through our office, we seek to recommend candidates for certification once they have completed all of the requirements for the issuance of the professional educator certificate. Additionally, we serve as a reference to faculty and departments about the requirements in place for Teacher Education programs and teacher certification. By serving as this reference, we desire to ensure that our programs at Alabama State University are operating in conjunction with what is required by the Alabama State Board for initial and advanced certification.
- Improve customer service relations with undergraduate and graduate students as they matriculate from Teacher Education Program (TEP) entry to certification.
- Increase the efficiency of internal departmental processes to enhance the quality of teacher certification recommendations.
- Maintain a collegial working relationship with the Alabama State Department of Education in terms of professional services rendered.
The College of Education offers degree programs from undergraduate to the doctoral level. There are four major departments in the college:
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Foundations and Psychology
- Health, Physical Education, and Recreation
- Instructional Support Programs
The degree programs offered for each department are listed under the individual departmental webpages for each department.
The program checklists for the College of Education are listed under the individual departmental webpages for each department.
Departmental Specific Accreditation Information
The university is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Many individual university programs are accredited by their relevant professional organizations and associations. Teacher education programs in the College of Education are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) in partnership with the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE). NCATE and ALSDE conduct joint continuing accreditation reviews of the unit’s programs.
The College of Education (COE) contributes to advancing the university’s mission by offering quality undergraduate and graduate programs of study that prepare professional educators for work in P-12 schools. These programs are driven by the unit’s conceptual framework theme, “Educator as Decision Maker.” The COE prepares prospective education professionals to become reflective practitioners, change agents, and lifelong learners--decision makers who serve in diverse learning communities.
- All grades and a statement regarding admission must appear on all transcripts.
- If anything is missing from the certification packet, the candidate will be contacted to request the missing information. This will delay the submission of a candidate’s information to the ALSDE for certification.
- If any of the aforementioned items are missing and not corrected by the candidate, the packet will be returned to the candidate without recommendation for certification.
- Applications for certification must be submitted within 60 calendar months of program completion or candidates must return to ASU to complete current requirements for certification.