The Department of Communications at Alabama State University offers programs of study leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree in communications. Students majoring in communications may concentrate in print journalism, public relations, radio and television, communication studies, recording industry or recording industry technology.
Program Admission Requirements
Students who chose to concentrate in print journalism, public relations and radio and television must meet the following requirements for admission to the program:
- Only students who have earned at least a “B” average in core English composition courses in University College will be considered for admission to the program.
- Students admitted to the program must earn at least a grade of “C’ in all major and minor courses.
- Students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above throughout their tenure in the program. A student whose GPA falls below 2.0 will be advised to pursue another major.
- Typing ability (40 wpm minimum) is a prerequisite for all writing courses offered in the major.
- Students are prohibited from selecting both a major and a minor from among Communications concentrations.
- Students must complete a senior comprehensive performance evaluation to qualify for graduation.
General Degree Competencies
Students majoring in communications must demonstrate mastery of a set of general degree competencies and concentration area competencies. These competencies are as follows:
- Demonstrate both a basic understanding of the impact of mass media (i.e. television, radio, newspapers and magazines) on individuals and society and an advanced understanding of the social, political, economic and cultural spheres which affect mass communication processes.
- Demonstrate a general knowledge and understanding of mass media law and how statutes and regulations governing the press affect the specific media of radio, television and print.
- Develop professional skills relative to specific area of concentration through participation in practicum and internship in related media agencies and sites both on and off campus.
- Approach the task of communicating in their personal and professional lives with confidence and competence in critical thinking, listening and analysis, group discussion, oral interpretation, speechmaking, speech writing and speech coaching.
Your search did not return any matching results.
- There may not be any matches in the category that you selected. Select a different category or search all categories by keyword.
- Check the spelling of the keyword.
- Try to search using a different keyword.
- Try to search using more than one keyword. You will broaden your search if you use more than one keyword because the search will return pages that have at least one instance of any of the keywords.