Clinical Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT)
Alabama State University offers the Clinical Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) degree. This three-year degree prepares graduates as entry level physical therapists eligible to sit for the National Physical Therapy Exam administered by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy. Licensure is necessary to practice physical therapy.
“Physical Therapy is a dynamic profession with an established theoretical base and widespread clinical applications in the preservation, development, and restoration of optimal physical function. Every day, physical therapists in the United States help approximately 1 million people alleviate pain; prevent the onset and progression of impairment, functional limitation, disability, or changes in physical function and health status resulting from injury, disease, or other causes; and restore, maintain and promote overall fitness and optimum quality of life as related to movement and health.
As essential participants in the healthcare delivery system, physical therapists assume leadership roles in rehabilitation services, prevention and health maintenance programs, and professional and community or4ganizations. They also play important roles in developing healthcare policy and appropriate standards for the various elements of physical therapist practice to ensure availability, accessibility, and excellence in the delivery of physical therapy services.” – Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, July 1999
Learn More About the Program
The Doctor of Physical Therapy Program at Alabama State University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314. Telephone: (703) 706-3245; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: http://www.capteonline.org.
LENGTH OF STUDY: 9 semesters
PROGRAM ENTRANCE DATE: Fall Semester
- Graduation -
- GRADUATION RATE for 2015-2016: 95.8%
- FEDERATION OF STATE BOARD OF PHYSICAL THERAPY (NATIONAL PHYSICAL THERAPY EXAMINATION) PASS RATE: 2015-2016: 90.9%
- Licensure - Graduates are eligible for the physical therapist licensure examination. Note that each state law regulates the practice of Physical Therapy. Contact a specific state’s Board of Licensure for Physical Therapy to obtain information on that State’s eligibility requirements.
- Employment - 100% of the graduates seeking employment as physical therapists from 2015-2016 have been successful.
- Credtials Conferred - The Doctor of Physical Therapy degree is conferred by Alabama State University based on competion of all requirments for the degree.
ASU's Physical Therapy Program "On the Job"
Check out ASU's Physical Therapy Program on Alabama Public Television's "On The Job!" (Click video below.)