MARC U*STAR Program
The NRSA MARC U-STAR Program at Alabama State University (ASU) supports the NIH-NIGMS national program objective to increase the number of highly trained underrepresented biomedical and behavioral research scientists in leadership positions who can significantly impact the health-related research needs of the nation.
The program’s overall outcome goal is to increase the solidly growing institutional number of graduates completing STEM doctorate degrees mainly in biomedical area.
Based upon extensive evaluation of program, institutional and national data, the objective of MARC program is to facilitate:
- targeted skills development
- STEM gateway course mastery
- quantitative assessment-enhanced trainee selection processes
- comprehensive laboratory research training
- strong institutional support
- evaluation of the program’s long-term Ph.D. readiness training impact