Mission and Vision
Alabama State University (ASU) will achieve global recognition through excellence in teaching, research and service. ASU will advance its current status as a premiere, comprehensive, Level VI regionally accredited institution, to a Doctoral/Research University (DRU) Carnegie Classification–designated institution. We shall become the destination university for students seeking a holistic educational experience. We will build upon quality scholarship and academic rigor to graduate a diverse corps of lifelong learners who are fully equipped to lead and succeed as citizens of the global workforce.
Alabama State University is a comprehensive diverse student- centered public HBCU committed to global excellence in teaching, research and service.
The University fulfills its mission by:
- Fostering critical thought
- Encouraging artistic creativity
- Developing professional competence
- Promoting responsible citizenship in its students
- Adding to the academic and experiential bodies of knowledge Enhancing the quality of life through research and discovery
- Cultivating global citizenship through thoughtful (meaningful, purposeful conscientious, intentional) and engaging public service
ASU offers baccalaureate through doctorate degrees in an expansive array of academic programs. We maintain a scholarly and creative faculty, state-of-the-art facilities, and an atmosphere in which members of the university community live, work and learn in pleasant surroundings. ASU offers a bridge to success for those who commit to pursing quintessential educational opportunities and lifelong endeavors.
Alabama State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools – Commission on Colleges (SACS).