clipboard steeple boxes gift circle-arrow chevron-thin-right chevron-thin-left magnify alasu instagram youtube feed twitter facebook

Welcome to Alabama State University. The following assistives navigation will help you jump to specific areas of the page.

Residency Requirements

A resident student is a U.S. citizen who meets one of the following criteria:

  •  Is a full-time permanent employee of the university or is the dependent of such an employee.
  • Can verify full-time permanent employment within the state of Alabama or is the dependent of such an employee and said employment will commence within 90 days of registration with the institution.
  •  Is a member or the dependent of a member of the United States military on fulltime active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school.
  • Is employed as a graduate assistant or fellow by the university.
  • Is an accredited member of or the dependent of a consular staff assigned to duties in Alabama (U.S. citizenship not required).
  • Residence in the state by parents, spouse or others who provide more than fifty percent of the student’s financial support.

Changing Residency Status

To be eligible to change residency status, a student must be a citizen of the United States, prove full-time employment within the state of Alabama, provide evidence of having filed an Alabama tax return as a resident of the state of Alabama, provide Alabama driver’s license, and prove continuous residence in the state for a purpose other than attending school.

Continuous residence in the state may be substantiated by meeting a combination of three of the following:

  • Ownership of residential property and other real property in the state of Alabama.
  • Previous periods of residence in the state continuing for one year or more other than as a full-time student.
  • Voter registration in the state of Alabama for at least one year prior to the initial registration of the student in Alabama at a public institution of higher education
  • Possession of a state or local license to do business or practice a profession in the state of Alabama.
  • In-state address shown on selective service registration, automobile title registration, hunting and fishing licenses, insurance policies, stock and bond registrations, last will and testament, annuities, or retirement plans.

Burden of proof for changing residency status rests with the student. If you do not understand the form or want assistance in completing it, do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment [3.0]. Decisions regarding change of residency will be made by the following dates:

  • August 1 - Fall Semester
  • December 1 - Spring Semester
  • May 1 -Summer Term

Students who wish to change their residency status must submit all required materials to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment ten days prior to the dates listed.

NOTE: The University is not responsible for past out-of-state fee charges.

Contact Us

Office of Admissions
Phone:(334) 229-4291
Hours: M-F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Back to top