clipboard steeple boxes gift circle-arrow chevron-thin-right chevron-thin-left magnify alasu instagram youtube feed twitter facebook

Welcome to Alabama State University. The following assistives navigation will help you jump to specific areas of the page.

Buildings

Alabama State University’s campus is home to an eclectic mix of buildings, from historic campus landmarks that remind us of our proud past, to contemporary, state-of-the art facilities that beckon the future. Read more about some the most prominent structures you’ll find on the ASU campus:

New ASU StadiumThe New ASU Stadium (2012)
Located on the recently renamed Harris Way (formerly Hall street), the New ASU Stadium is a multipurpose complex with 26,500 seats, including club level and suite seating, a 65-foot-tall, high-definition scoreboard, two party terraces, general admission and berm seating, retail space, administration offices and a restaurant.

 

 

Hardy Student Center John Garrick Hardy Student Center (2012)
The John Garrick Hardy Student Center offers one-stop shopping for student services. Most offices students need to visit in order to complete important student-service transactions are located in this sprawling facility, including financial aid, records and registration, student accounts and cashier window and more. The $25 million, 80,000-square-foot building features a movie theatre, bookstore, food court, game room, ballroom and several lounge areas.

 

 

 

Dunn Oliver AcadomeDunn-Oliver Acadome (1992)
Home to the Hornets’ men’s and women’s basketball teams, the Dunn-Oliver Acadome is an ultramodern, multipurpose complex encompassing 220,500 square feet. The facility, which features a 7,400-seat arena, is the major center for physical education instruction, entertainment activities, conventions, cultural events and commencement exercises. Classrooms, a banquet/reception area and offices for faculty and athletics personnel also are located in the facility.

 

 

Bibb Graves Building PhotoBibb Graves Hall (1928)
Bibb Graves Hall, built in 1928, is ASU’s oldest dormitory and one of ASU’s most recognized buildings. The 37,640 square-foot, three-story campus landmark was fully renovated in 2008 and is reserved for junior and senior female students. The building perhaps is best known for its Bell Tower, which sounds bell chimes to mark the hour of day and special occasions. The Bibb Graves Bell Tower is featured on the university’s official seal.

 

 

CJ Dunn TowerCharles Johnson (C.J.) Dunn Tower (1994) 
C.J. Dunn Tower is an 11-story, brick and stucco all-girls dormitory that provides apartment-style living accommodations for 480 students. The 114,419-square-foot building is the tallest building on the ASU campus. It features a large laundry room in the basement and telephone and cable connections in each room. C.J. Dunn Tower is conveniently located next to the Fred Shuttlesworth Dining Hall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shuttlesworth-1.jpgFred Shuttlesworth Dining Hall (2007)
Fred Shuttlesworth Dining Hall is great place to eat and socialize. Featuring modern décor, a sound system and flat screen televisions, the dining hall is a renovation from an existing basketball arena and encompasses 39,000 gross square feet. The facility, named for ASU alumnus and civil rights pioneer, the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, serves up a full range of meals, from sandwiches and salads to full course dinners.

 

 

 

Lockhart GymnasiumGeorge H. Lockhart Gymnasium (1939)
The George H. Lockhart Gymnasium is a 47,553-square-foot brick complex used for physical education activities and intramural sports. The gymnasium, which features a physical fitness area and a standard 25-meter AAU pool for swimming and aquatic meets, was extensively renovated in 2002. The facility also houses several faculty and staff offices.

 

 

 

 

Tullibody Fine Arts BuildingTullibody Fine Arts Center (1984)
Tullibody Fine Arts Center is home to the ASU’s Visual Arts and Theatre Departments. The 52,000 square foot, two-story brick structure features fine arts classrooms, offices, art galleries, studios and laboratories. Tullibody Fine Arts Center also features the popular Lelia M. Barlow Theatre, which boasts a 300-seat auditorium for dramatic performances and shows.

 

 

 

 

Tullibody Music Hall Tullibody Music Hall (1974)
Tullibody Music Hall is home to ASU’s Music Department and Mighty Marching Hornets Band. The 41,000 square foot structure includes a 4-story tower with facilities for band, choir, classrooms, offices, practice rooms, a listening library and a 200-seat recital hall. The band practice field, from which the sounds of the Mighty Marching Hornets often can be heard, is located just behind Tullibody Music Hall.

 

 

 

 

 

President's HomeUniversity House (1970)
This two-story, brick-veneer structure contains the Alabama State University president’s residence and facilities to accommodate guests and numerous social functions of the University. The residence has a living space of more than 5,000 square feet.

 

 

 

 

Levi Watkins Learning CenterLevi Watkins Learning Center (1978)
The Levi Watkins Learning Center houses the university’s central library and media facilities, which include the university’s archives and special collections. The College of Business Administration also is located in the center. The facility currently is undergoing an extensive renovation, including a 46,000 square foot addition that will feature a new internet café, information commons and student-friendly group seating and study areas.

 

 

 

 

Buskey-Health-1.jpgJohn L. Buskey Health Science Building (2001)
The 80,000-square-foot, three-story John L. Buskey Health Science Building houses the health science programs consisting of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Rehabilitation Counseling and Health Information Management. Various computer labs meet the needs of students majoring in the health science programs. In addition, the facility features a Gait Analysis Laboratory, Cardio Pulmonary Laboratory and a 200-seat auditorium for a variety of lectures and conferences.

 

 

 

Abercrombie-1.jpgJohn W. Abercrombie Hall (1947)
John W. Abercrombie Hall, originally opened in 1947, was renovated from top to bottom in 2008. The 40,000 square-foot, 130 bedroom facility features suite-style living accommodations on all three floors. Each suite has two bedrooms, which include beds, study desks, rocking chairs, wardrobes a couch and a television stand. In addition, Abercrombie Hall features laundry facilities and study rooms on each floor, as well as a computer lab and visitors lounge.

 

 

 

Life Science BuildingLife Science Building (2009)
The Life Science Building is an 85,000 square foot, five-floor facility that includes a 2,000-square foot teaching seminar room, well-equipped research laboratories, walk-in cold rooms and dark rooms. The building houses the University’s biological science programs, including the new doctoral program in microbiology for the Department of Biological Sciences. It features state-of-the-art molecular biology teaching laboratories and multimedia classrooms furnished with the latest instructional software.

 

 

 


Abernathy College of EducationRalph David Abernathy Hall (2009)
Named for ASU alumnus and civil rights icon Ralph David Abernathy, the 134,000-square-foot Ralph David Abernathy Hall is home to the College of Education. The building is the university’s second largest facility and features simulated classrooms, research and development laboratories, a 545-seat auditorium and stately rotunda designated as a “great teachers memorial hall.” An outdoor courtyard provides students and faculty with a beautiful space to relax, socialize or study.

 

 
 

Hatch HallRobert Clinton Hatch Hall Forensic Science Building (2007)
The Robert Clinton Hatch Hall Forensic Science Building is shared by the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences and Alabama State University. The 50,000-square-foot facility incorporates state-of-the-art forensic science laboratories, computer labs, a mock court room, instrumentation laboratory and a criminal logistics laboratory for instruction in techniques used to examine evidentiary material.

Back to top